The Sanitation Services Division is responsible for:
- Contractual Services (Curbservice Trash/Recycle Collections)
- City Trash/Recycle Collections
- Recycle Operations
The City of Akron provides CURBSERVICE to residents of one, two and three family
freestanding residential units. CURBSERVICE includes a weekly collection of household
rubbish and we also provide a weekly collection of recyclables.
"Rules and Regulations"
Place your household trash and recyclables on the curb only in City-issued containers
(96-gallon or 64-gallon wheeled carts for garbage and 64-gallon wheeled carts for
- Containers such as plastic or galvanized cans or laundry baskets are not acceptable.
- You must bag all loose garbage, secure the bag with a tie, and place in your trash cart.
- Put your trash and recycle carts on the curb after 4:30 p.m. the day before collection
or earlier than 4:30 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Place your trash and recycle carts about 3 feet apart so the trucks mechanical arm
can avoid obstructions.
- Please remove your empty carts by 6:00 p.m. after serviced on collection day.
- Items not permitted in your trash and recycle carts are: hazardous waste, roofing
material, concrete, plaster, dirt, sand, gravel, bricks, drywall and
demolition/construction materials. These items will not be collected.
- Do not overfill your trash cart. LIDS MUST BE SHUT FOR COLLECTION to
eliminate trash falling out of the container onto the street as the trucks
mechanical arm is lifting the cart. OVERLOADED CARTS WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
If the lid won't close, it won't be collected.
Important information: All bagged trash must be placed inside the City trash
container; if not, it will not be collected.
Weekly Bulk Pickup
The City will provide weekly pickup service of bulk trash on your normal
collection day. Here is a brief list of acceptable household trash for bulk item
- Furniture, dressers, mattresses, couches, chairs, bookcases, house doors, storm doors,
storm windows, bicycles, basketball hoops (dismantled), televisions 19" and above,
tires, and appliances.
- Wood, branches, brush, carpeting, and fencing must be bundled/rolled, tied, and no
longer than 4 feet long.
Special Pickup LARGE VOLUME
The City will provide a Special Pickup for our City residents. Special Pickups consist
of house, garage, and moving out cleanouts of household trash. This is also the
opportunity to set out Extra Bags, that will not fit in your City Cart, on your
curb strip. Each home will be allowed three (3) Special Pickups per year on your normal
trash collection day.
Most importantly, you must precshedule your special pickup request within one (1) week
and not place the trash on the curb prior to 4:30pm on the day before your normal
collection day. Please pre-schedule your Special Pickup at our 3-1-1 Call Center at
Recyclables Collected Weekly
No Hazardous Waste
Will be Accepted
Recycling Information / Rules & Regulations
Recycle collection days are every week.
Recycle the following in blue or clear bags:
- All metal food and beverage cans
- Aluminum trays and aluminum foil
- Glass bottles and jars of any color
- Rigid plastics marked #1 thru #7
- Empty aerosol cans
Recycle the following in your brown grocery bags or tie in bundles:
- Newspapers, magazines, phone books, cardboard (corrugated only)
- Recyclables must be bagged and/or tied or bundled and placed in 64-gallon blue Recycle
All containers should be rinsed. All lids on glass and plastic should be removed and
NOTE: THE CITY OF AKRON ALSO "RECYCLES" ITEMS SUCH AS AUTOMOBILE TIRES,
REFRIGERATORS, WASHERS, DRYERS, AND AIR CONDITIONERS BY COLLECTING THEM WEEKLY ALONG WITH
HOUSEHOLD RUBBISH, AND TAKING THEM TO LOCAL SALVAGE COMPANIES.
PLEASE! PLEASE! NO STYROFOAM
Clear/Blue tinted Bags can be:
- Purchased in 13 or 30 gallon sizes, or
- Obtained FREE to packing groceries at some local stores and then used for recycling.
Some examples of products from Recycled (#1) (PETE Polyethylene Terephate)
- Non-food bottles and containers
Some examples of products from Recycled (#2) (HDPE High-Density Polyethylene)
- Detergent bottles
- Trash cans
- Soda bottle base cups
- Plastic jugs
- Drainage pipes
- Animal pens
Start the recycling loop by saving your recyclables for collection. Keep the cycle
going Help create the demand for recycled products.
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
Many residents have asked, "What is happening to all the recyclables we prepare
and place in the blue bag?"
Some examples of reuse are:
Glass bottles and Jars (all colors):
- Aluminum food and beverage cans, aluminum foil and trays:
- Recycling aluminum saves 95% of the energy to produce new aluminum from ore. The
aluminum recycling process turns used cans right back into new cans.
All metal food and beverage cans, including empty aerosol cans:
- Used glass containers can be made into new containers.
- When they are recycled, steel cans may become a variety of new products such as cars,
appliances, toys, tools and construction materials.
NOTE: Clear or blue bags, which are not properly prepared, will be tagged and
left on the curb for the resident to correct.
During holiday weeks, your collection day will be one day later. For example, if your
regular collection day is on Monday, it will be delayed until Tuesday and so on, with
Fridays pickup moved to Saturday. The following holidays WILL NOT affect your
collection day: PRESIDENTS DAY, COLUMBUS DAY, AND VETERANS DAY.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR SERVICE
- Curbservice refuse problems
- Curbservice refuse/recycle problems
- Curbservice billing questions
- Recycle Info Line
- From mobile phone, dial: 330-375-2311