The Neighborhood Business
District (NBD) Program revitalizes small, older business centers in residential
neighborhoods. The City assists business property owners with building, facade, site and
Benefits to Individual Business Property Owners:
- Owners of property in eligible areas can apply for a dollar-for-dollar matching grant
for exterior improvements. Grant amounts are calculated at $400 per foot of building
frontage on the addressed side, up to $30,000.
- Facade grant recipients may apply for loans for interior and exterior building
improvements. Up to $150,000 may be available at 6%.
- Design assistance is available. All proposed projects are reviewed by the Citys
Urban Design and Historic Preservation Commission.
Benefits to Neighborhoods:
- Through discussions with business property owners and surveys of existing conditions,
the City identifies assets and circumstances that impede growth.
- This analysis may lead to changes in zoning regulations, parking, removal of blighted
structures, or the creation of landmarks or open space.
- Public infrastructure is redeveloped, as needed. This may include sidewalk and curb
improvements, street resurfacing, street trees, street lighting, new signals, and, in some
cases, underground utilities.
Akrons Neighborhood Business District Program is now operating in the North Hill
/ Temple Square and Kenmore NBD areas.
For further information and an application, call 330-375-2090.